Its no secret that I love makeup and skincare products. I am always on the lookout for that magical product that just blows me away! Even though I love to try out new products, I have certain ones that I go to over and over. These are my tried and true products that I have bought and used for years. I find myself using a variety of makeup products everyday–some from Sephora, and some from the drugstore. So, I thought it would be fun to highlight some basic makeup that we all use everyday and share which ones I love from the drug store and which ones I feel are worth the splurge!
1. Foundation: If you have read any of my blog posts before, you might know that I love to try new foundations. I am in my mid 30’s and have very dry skin. I struggle with dullness and fine lines around my eyes. I love a glowy, dewy makeup look.
Save: I LOVE the Loreal Infallible Pro Glow Foundation! It is my all time favorite, go to foundation that I always come back to! It has great coverage, gives an amazing glow and is so affordable! I would say the coverage is about medium, but it is buildable and it blends right in with your skin. It doesn’t crease around the eye area either, which is always so important to me. I have spent way more money than I would like to admit on foundation and this one always takes the cake! I cant recommend it enough!
Splurge: DiorSkin Forever Undercover Foundation: This is my high end all time favorite foundation. It is just wonderful. It will make your skin look flawless! I have used this off and on for years and still love it. My mom, who is 65, also loves this foundation. It works for a wide variety of skin types. This is definitely a full coverage foundation and is much heavier than the Loreal Pro Glow. This is what I use if I am going full glam for a wedding or something fancy like that. The price tag is much steeper than the Loreal, but you only need to use a small amount, so one bottle will last you a really long time! Also, this foundation will stay on for hours with no need to touch up- it is definitely long lasting!
2. Mascara: This is another product that I love to try out. I have never had lash extensions but I love the look of big, bold lashes! I have tried every mascara out there and I have narrowed my search down to two really great ones!
Save: Maybelline “The Falsies” Push Up Angel Mascara: This mascara is fantastic! I have a friend who has the most beautiful lashes and of course I had to ask her what kind of mascara she uses. She recommended this one by Maybelline and I never looked back. The brush is very small and narrow and is great for separating individual lashes. I love to layer this with other volumizing mascaras or use it on its own for really long dramatic lashes!
Splurge: Lancome Big Monsieur Mascara: This is my holy grail mascara. It is so good for creating big, voluminous lashes. It doesn’t clump or flake and I love it! I always recommend this one to anyone looking for a new mascara. I honestly love to do one coat of this for volume and then one coat of the Maybelline to lengthen and separate. Such an amazing combo!
3. Lip Gloss: I love lip gloss! It is one of the things that I cant help but buy over and over. I honestly rarely go through a full tube of what ever random lip gloss I impulsively buy, but there are two that I have loved and purchased over and over.
Save: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Lip Shine: This stuff IS AMAZING. I have very dry, flaky lips and this is the most moisturizing lip gloss you can buy. If I wear lipstick, you can bet that I layer this on top. I have used many lip glosses that temporarily make my lips feel hydrated, but dry them out as soon as it wears off. This one makes my lips feel soft and smooth long after it wears off! I cant express my love for it enough!
Splurge: Buxom Full on Plumping Lip Cream Gloss: If you buy one thing from this blog post, let it be this. I love this lip gloss passionately. I have about ten tubes because I want it in my makeup bag and in every purse I have so I am never without it. I love it. It comes in so many beautiful shades and stays on better than any other lip gloss ever. It does offer some plumping to your lips but doesn’t have the burn or tingle that other plumping glosses have! Definitely worth the splurge! P.S. My favorite shade ever is Rose Julep!
4. Eye liner: I never really thought eyeliner mattered that much to me until I randomly grabbed a few at Target and realized that not all eyeliner is created equal. I always use liquid liner and love a good cat eye. Some liners have thick brushes that make it difficult to apply. Others wear off easily and make the cat eye you worked at for 20 minutes uneven, and that just isn’t acceptable! Here are my favorites.
Save: Loreal Telescopic Precision Eyeliner. I have repurchased this eyeliner more times than I can count. Its very user friendly and goes on very smoothly. The color glides on very saturated which I love.
Splurge: Tom Ford eye defining pen. Okay Tom Ford makeup is crazy expensive. Lets just be honest. It is just way overpriced but its so good. Ugh…I love this eyeliner a lot. I don’t buy it often because I like the Loreal one and its so much cheaper but if you ever feel fancy like spending some money, buy this eyeliner. Its pretty fabulous and it does last for a while so that makes it a little easier to spend $60 on eyeliner (insert big wide eyed emoji here).
5. Lip Sleeping Mask: This category is a little bit different. I was going to talk about lipstick here, but I have so many favorites that it was honestly really hard for me to narrow down to two. I love Charlotte Tilbury, YSL, Maybelline, Urban Decay and so on. So, I thought it would be fun to talk lip masks.
Save: I am going to be honest here and say buy yourself a good ole tub of Aquaphor. Slather it on your lips at night and wake up with soft, kissable lips. You really honestly can t beat it. A tub will last you forever and you can use it anywhere that needs some extra love (like your heels during sandal season).
Splurge: Mamonde Lip Sleeping Mask: I have very dry lips and I have fallen into every trap ever advertised for a magical lip sleeping mask. I find that most of them make your lips feel amazing at first but still flaky and dry by morning. I love a lot about this Mamonde one though. It feels like heaven when you put it on. I think it makes my lips more moisturized by morning than most lip masks I have used. One jar will last for a very long time which is nice. This product has a very thick, rich texture which feels luxurious. I really like to apply this product while I am putting on my makeup and my lips are nice and soft by the time I apply lipstick. I really like this but honestly I would rather use Aquaphor and save my money for other products!
Okay, here are my top 5 save vs. splurge makeup products, These are all products that I have used for years and have purchased over and over. I am not someone who believes that makeup has to be expensive to be great! Don’t be afraid to try out products from the drugstore because I will guarantee that you will stumble on something that you love! Shop here: http://liketk.it/2Rfey.